According to IBM’s Social Sentiment Index, based on an analysis of more than a half million public posts on message boards, blogs, social media sites, etc., steampunk inspired by the clothing, technology, and social mores of Victorian society, will be a major trend in 2013 – 2015 (and possibly beyond).
According to the report:
- 33% of online fashion chatter around steampunk can be found on gaming sites.
- 2010 saw a year on year increase in chatter of 296 percent. This increase can be attributed to steampunk-inspired NYC ComicCon events in October of 2010.
- Twitter is the #1 social network for steampunk chatter; hosts six times the number of discussions as Facebook.
- 63% of fashion discussions around steampunk are initiated by individuals less than 30 years old.
- 55% of social sentiment chatter for steampunk fashion derived by blogs.